When the winter rolls around, a fireplace is a luxury everyone wishes they had in…
Are you getting ready to sell your home? If your roof is nearing the end of its lifespan, replacing it before you put the property on the market can be a smart move.
You won’t just put potential buyers at ease; you’ll even, on average, get 66 percent of the cost back when you make the sale.
The new roof will come with a generous warranty. Prime Roofing offers a standard 10-year workmanship warranty, for example, and extended 25-year warranties are also available. While a brand new roof is a massive selling point for potential buyers, they won’t want to miss out on that warranty!
Thankfully, you can transfer your roof warranty to the new owner. Here’s how.
How Does Your Roof Warranty Work?
Roofing contractors and shingle manufacturers can both offer roof warranties:
- Workmanship warranties, offered by the roofer, cover the quality of the installation.
- Manufacturer warranties cover the roofing materials. In some cases, as with Owens Corning Roofing Preferred Protection and Platinum Protection Limited Warranties, manufacturer warranties cover the workmanship, too. Prime Roofing is a Platinum Certified Installer of Owens Corning products and roofing systems.
Workmanship warranties aren’t generally transferrable, but manufacturer warranties are.
What Should You Look Out for When Reviewing Your Roof Warranty?
Whether you are getting ready to have your roof replaced before putting your home on the market, you have a roof that’s still under warranty, or you’re a buyer, consider these key points:
- Warranties specify who benefits. Check if the warranty can be transferred. You can generally find this information in a dedicated section.
- What is covered in the warranty? What is not?
- What is the duration of the warranty? Keep in mind that different components may be covered for different periods of time, and read the warranty carefully.
- How can you make a claim? This will be specified in the warranty as well.
- What type of warranty does the roof have? A roof warranty may be limited, lifetime, or extended. Lifetime warranties are generally valid only until the property owner sells the home.
How to Transfer a Roof Warranty
If you are buying or selling a home with a roof installed with Owens Corning shingle products, perhaps a roof installed by Prime Roofing, the steps you need to take to transfer the warranty are as follows:
- Submit your warranty transfer request within 60 days of closing the sale.
- Prove ownership history by submitting a copy of the deed or closing documents.
- Submit the roof’s installation date and the date on which the roof was purchased.
Sellers who have the relevant paperwork can help the new owners get started with this process, but if you are stuck, you can also call Owens Corning at 1-800-ROOFING.
About Prime Roofing
As a Platinum Owens Corning Contractor, Prime Roofing is able to offer transferrable workmanship and manufacturer warranties, giving buyers the peace of mind they need as they enjoy their new home and its quality roof.
Call Prime Roofing today at (904) 530-1446 for all residential roofing services in the Northern Florida region.